Friday, March 2, 2007

Class Material

On Wednesday and today in class we discussed the issue of security on the Internet. I think that this is a very pressing issue due to personal experience. I was a victim of identity theft. Someone found out my information and used it to create an entire account at Dell. This was extremely disturbing because my actual credit card was in my possession the whole time and the best explanation I could think of as to how my information was obtained was someone was able to obtain online. This is a serious issue that I believe needs to be worked on and people need to be extra careful. So just a word of caution to everyone that it does happen and its not a pleasant feeling.

2 comments:

Matt Corritori said...

This happens to a lot of people and a lot of times it is much worse. People's social security number get stolen and then it causes a lot of problems. People have to be careful who they give their private information to. It could wind up costing the victim everything or it could take years to rebuild what he/she had.

Ashley Goldberg said...

I was actually probably one of the lucky ones considering that whoever did this ended up sending the things they bought to my home address. This way I knew right away that something was up. It's definitely a scary thought that people can get this information so easily it seems. Luckily, we were able to get the problem resolved but I know others may not be so lucky. I am now overly cautious about any info I put on the internet.