Thursday, February 22, 2007

Required Blog list 1

I was searching through the required blog list when one blog in particular caught my eye. The blog was located on the Naked Conversations blog (now called Global Neighbourhoods, I believe). The title was "Egyptian blogger sentenced to 4 years" and this immediately caught my attention.
According to the blog, a young man of only 22 years old was sentenced to four years in prison just because of something he said that was unfavorable to Azhar University and other higher ups.

This completely blows my mind and it is hard to believe since we are pretty "spoiled" here in the U.S. It amazes me that on my blog I can choose to write whatever I feel and criticize whomever without the fear of punishment. As U.S. citizens this is one thing we should appreciate. The arrest of this young man shows a great deal of cultural difference. Rights involving speech is an important area that many countries need to advance on. Freedom of speech can be an important step towards other freedoms that citizens may be lacking. I do not know much about Egyptian law and their way of life, but I do know this is true in many other nations and gaining freedom of speech could be a stepping stone towards other freedoms and hopefully an improvement in human rights overall. I hope that this young man keeps fighting and doesn't give up.

No comments: