Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Required Bloglist Post 3

On the Global Neighbourhoods blog I noticed an interesting article titled, Tim O'Reilly's Code of Conduct. As I read through the article I was a little confused about what exactly was going on. The article was talking about how Tim O'Reilly was proposing a blogger code of conduct in response to an incident that occurred with Kathy Sierra. The article went on to talk about Shel Israel's feelings about the code of conduct but I was still confused as to exactly what had happened. So I researched a little more through Google to find out more about the situation. Basically, the issue is that people were giving death threats and saying terrible things about Kathy on a blog.

In my opinion this stuff is unfortunately unavoidable, so in that sense I agree with Shel Israel that this is just bound to happen. On the other hand, it is terrible and no one should have to deal with it. So on that side I agree with Tim O'Reilly who attempted to do something about it and set up this blogger code of conduct. Unfortunately there is no easy solution to this problem. I think it is more productive for Tim O'Reilly to make the problem known and try to do something about it. It is also just very interesting to see all the views and sides on the different blogs about this issue.

No comments: